A History of Amusements at Como
Amusement rides have been offered to the public in a four-acre site adjacent to the Como Zoo since 1949. As part of a larger plan to improve Como Park, the City of Saint Paul in November 2003 sought new ideas to redevelop the amusement area. Lancer Hospitality, owned by Twin Cities’ residents Glenn Baron and Steve Craver was awarded a contract to redevelop the amusement park. The amusement area generates additional revenues for the City of Saint Paul to support operations and attractions at Como Park.
The new four-acre amusement park, Como Town, opened in May, 2005. The park is located at 1301 Midway Parkway, 1/2 mile west of Lexington Parkway and Horton Avenue in Saint Paul. Como Park is one of the region’s most popular attractions, attracting 1 million people to Saint Paul each year.
In 2007 Como Town added three new rides - Traffic Jam! bumper cars, Pony Carts and Classic Cruisers
The Traffic Jam! Bumper Cars are custom-designed cars that include Como Town taxi, police and fire chief vehicles as well as four zoo animals—tiger, snake, zebra and lion. The vehicles wheel around a 1,200-square-foot track where kids, as well as adults, can create their own Traffic Jam!
Classic Cruisers and Pony Carts are both vintage amusement park ride that have been carefully restored to mint condition. The Classic Cruisers were originally built in the 1930’s by The Allan Herschell Company. The Herschell Company was founded in 1915 and famous for manufacturing carousels and amusement park rides. The Classic Cruisers and Pony Carts were purchased and restored by Como Town from Erieview Amusement Park in Geneva-On-The-Lake, Ohio when the small amusement park in northeast Ohio closed after being in operation for more than 60 years.
In 2008 Tornado!
The Tornado! is a spinning, tilting and swinging ride and allows passengers to control the spin in each car themselves so they can make the ride as wild or as mild as they want. The ride lifts seven feet off the ground and tilts at a 20-degree angle as the cars swing in and out as well as spin around, just like the real weather twister.
In 2010 Splash Zone and an original made-in Minnesota Tilt-A-Whirl
The Splash Zone, an interactive water play area in Hodge Podge Park, is the perfect place for kids to stay cool on hot summer days. The Splash Zone is a series of water fountains, jets, sprayers and water buckets on a colorful 40’ X 40’ splash pad play area.
The first Tilt-A-Whirl was invented by Herbert W. Sellner in 1926 at his Faribault, MN home for the Wildwood Amusement Park in White Bear Lake, MN. Since 1927 more than 1,000 Tilt-A-Whirls have been built and sold by Sellner Manufacturing in Faribault, MN, and more than 500 can still be found in amusement parks and carnivals throughout the world.
In 2012 the S.S. Swashbuckler Pirate Ship, Como Town Mining Company and the Aqua Dunk at Splash Zone
The S.S. Swashbuckler Pirate Ship arrived at Como Town from across the globe. The pirate ship was built in Italy and shipped overseas to Como Town. The 24,000 pound, 25-feet-long S.S. Swashbuckler has open seats and swings back and forth in a pendulum motion, changing elevations and speed while giving riders the feeling of weightlessness.
At Como Town Mining Co. kids can pan for 40 gemstones and fossils that are 15,000-340,000 years old. The attraction features gemstones including quartz, amazonite, arrowhead, fluorite, emerald, lapidolite, moon stone, tiger eye, ruby, copper, and calcite, and fossils including oyster, coral, petrified wood, whale bone, shark teeth, trilobite, and amber.
The Splash Zone, an interactive water play area features a new Aqua Dunk water play component. The colorful 40’ X 40’ splash pad area includes a series of bubblers, water buckets, sprayers, water boosters, spouts and jets guaranteed to provide a soaking wet experience to anyone in the Splash Zone.
Como Town features more than 18 traditional and interactive rides!
Read about all of them, and our other attractions, at our Rides Page